OffbeatThreads

Bustle with single petticoat.    I should get on in just the bustle which is a lovely striped taffeta you can kinda see through the placket.  Now to flounce!

Bustle with single petticoat.    I should get on in just the bustle which is a lovely striped taffeta you can kinda see through the placket.  Now to flounce!

started the sleeve trim today and glas asked how tiny so here is a picture.  The larger tatting is the skirt trim. 

started the sleeve trim today and glas asked how tiny so here is a picture.  The larger tatting is the skirt trim. 

Finished sampler flounce

Finished sampler flounce

So this is sort of a sampler.  It is a flounce for a petticoat and since I am relatively new to heirloom and Victorian sewing I wanted a bit of practice.  This is plain black cotton broadcloth. The left side is a series of tucks.  The final conclusion is that I need a LOT more practice on tucks as they are wibbly wobbly like whoa.  Then two rows of cording.  I like how it stands out, but I dislike the amt of space between.  Then a blank spot that I have not made up my mind on.  Then a row of deceptive eyelet stitching.  Then four rows or cording done The Laced Angel way.  I really like the sandwiched cording.  Overall this flounce is 220 inches long.

So this is sort of a sampler.  It is a flounce for a petticoat and since I am relatively new to heirloom and Victorian sewing I wanted a bit of practice.  This is plain black cotton broadcloth. The left side is a series of tucks.  The final conclusion is that I need a LOT more practice on tucks as they are wibbly wobbly like whoa.  Then two rows of cording.  I like how it stands out, but I dislike the amt of space between.  Then a blank spot that I have not made up my mind on.  Then a row of deceptive eyelet stitching.  Then four rows or cording done The Laced Angel way.  I really like the sandwiched cording.  Overall this flounce is 220 inches long.

So this is sort of a sampler.  It is a flounce for a petticoat and since I am relatively new to heirloom and Victorian sewing I wanted a bit of practice.  This is plain black cotton broadcloth. The left side is a series of tucks.  The final conclusion is that I need a LOT more practice on tucks as they are wibbly wobbly like whoa.  Then two rows of cording.  I like how it stands out, but I dislike the amt of space between.  Then a blank spot that I have not made up my mind on.  Then a row of decorative eyelet stitching.  Then four rows or cording done The Laced Angel way.  I really like the sandwiched cording.  Overall this flounce is 220 inches long.

So this is sort of a sampler.  It is a flounce for a petticoat and since I am relatively new to heirloom and Victorian sewing I wanted a bit of practice.  This is plain black cotton broadcloth. The left side is a series of tucks.  The final conclusion is that I need a LOT more practice on tucks as they are wibbly wobbly like whoa.  Then two rows of cording.  I like how it stands out, but I dislike the amt of space between.  Then a blank spot that I have not made up my mind on.  Then a row of decorative eyelet stitching.  Then four rows or cording done The Laced Angel way.  I really like the sandwiched cording.  Overall this flounce is 220 inches long.

Close up of tatting

Close up of tatting

Tatting.  This is the trim I decided on for one of the steampunk Black Widow.  Its number 3 crochet cotton done on a number 3 tatting needle.  The beads are double delicas.  The second motif is much better, the one that is just started as I figured out the tension etc.  I need 20 of these to go around the hem of the overskirt.  I think I will do the same motif in a finer thread to finish the cuffs on the blouse.  The pattern is by Anne Bruvold and is called dragon wing doily.  I am only using half the doily pattern to create a scalloped trim.

Tatting. This is the trim I decided on for one of the steampunk Black Widow. Its number 3 crochet cotton done on a number 3 tatting needle. The beads are double delicas. The second motif is much better, the one that is just started as I figured out the tension etc. I need 20 of these to go around the hem of the overskirt. I think I will do the same motif in a finer thread to finish the cuffs on the blouse. The pattern is by Anne Bruvold and is called dragon wing doily. I am only using half the doily pattern to create a scalloped trim.

Very very very early preview of a silk ribbon embroidery under bust corset panel

Very very very early preview of a silk ribbon embroidery under bust corset panel

Practicing my hand work….bullion knots still need a lot of work.

Practicing my hand work….bullion knots still need a lot of work.

Still working up trim ides.  This is a red satin that I did a rolled hem on and then box pleated.  I would then cover it with one inch black velvet ribbon mimicked here with blue satin.  Not overall sure how I feel about it.

Still working up trim ides. This is a red satin that I did a rolled hem on and then box pleated. I would then cover it with one inch black velvet ribbon mimicked here with blue satin. Not overall sure how I feel about it.